Health Care Fraud
Health care fraud involves filing counterfeit health care claims with the intent of making a profit or saving money. This is a financially-motivated crime, and it has a direct effect on how much others have to pay for their own health care. It is estimated that for every dollar paid per person for health care, a dime of it is applied toward the payment of fraudulent health care claims. That adds up dramatically over time.
What is Health Care Fraud?
Individuals who commit health care fraud often do the following:
- Falsify prescriptions
- Sell prescription drugs to others
- Provide false information to obtain insurance
- Use another person’s insurance card to receive medical care
- Allow others to use their insurance ID card to get medical care
Health care providers commit fraud in their own ways:
- Billing insurance for care that was never rendered
- Billing insurance for unneeded medical procedures
- Billing insurance repeatedly for a single, one time service
- Write unneeded prescriptions with the intent of turning a profit
- Using unqualified or unlicensed medical personnel to keep profits high
- Altering dates, diagnosis and patients’ medical records for financial gain
Charged With a Felony, Misdemeanor, or Federal Crime?
Contact Houston Criminal Justice Lawyer Mario Madrid
The penalties for health care fraud vary depending on the kind of violation. If a doctor falsifies documents, prosecution under the False Statement Act may carry five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. If he or she is accused of filing for payment for services that were not provided, a 10-year prison sentence could be the result.
The most damaging consequence, though, is the loss of one’s rights to practice medicine. A physician who is convicted of fraud may end up losing his or her practitioner’s license. If you have been charged with health care fraud, do not waste time. Pick up the phone today and call an experienced health care fraud criminal case defense lawyer like Mario Madrid.
Contact a Health Care Fraud Lawyer Today
Your future is riding on the skills of your defense team. The team of criminal defense lawyers at Madrid Law know your rights, and they will work tirelessly to bring you the justice you deserve.