Nonimmigrant Visas

Non-immigrant Visas Attorney

An individual who would like to enter the United States, yet does not want to become a permanent resident, may need a non-immigrant visa in order to remain here for an extended period of time. This type of visa is issued for visitors in a variety of categories, such as:

  • Business travelers
  • Investors
  • Foreign exchange students
  • Athletes
  • Religious workers
  • People who possess extraordinary abilities in art, education, science, business or athletics

Since these visas allow a visitor to enter the United States for only a short amount of time, they are contingent upon an applicant’s ability to understand the terms. A person who is applying for a non-immigrant visa must show ties to his native country and must also acknowledge the fact that he does not intend to stay in the U.S. indefinitely.

The Application Process

Before a person is granted a non-immigrant visa, his paperwork must be submitted to the Department of Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS). The type of application that is submitted can vary and is based upon an individual’s occupation or the reason for his temporary visit. A few of the most common types of non-immigrant visas include:

  • B-1: Those who are traveling on business
  • B-2: International tourists
  • E: Foreign traders and investors
  • F-1: Students
  • H-1B: Working professionals
  • J-1: Doctors
  • K: Children, spouses and people who are engaged to marry

In total, there are more than 25 different categories for non-immigrant U.S. visas. Each category has its own criteria for acceptance along with a limited number of individuals who can receive that type of visa. Successful and timely completion of the application form along with the submission of any required fees and documentation is essential to ensure that the petition will be considered. Anyone who needs help acquiring a non-immigrant visa should contact a Houston immigration attorney.

Visa Waiver

In some cases, those from certain countries may not need visas at all before coming to the United States. That is because a visa waiver is allowed for foreign nationals who reside in approved countries to come for up to a 90-day period. The visit may be for business or personal reasons; however, a machine-readable passport is generally required before entry will be granted.

Contact a Houston Non-immigrant Visas Lawyer

An individual who is applying for a non-immigrant visa has lots at stake when it comes to making sure that his application is submitted properly. A denied application could result in excessive fines and penalties for those who remain in the United States after the allowed time. Therefore, it is essential to hire an experienced nonimmigrant visa attorney to assist with the process. Houston lawyer Mario Madrid will make sure that the application process for a client flows as smoothly as possible.

For more information about nonimmigrant visas or to schedule a consultation, speak with the lawyers at Madrid Law today at 713-877-9400.