Shoplifting is a crime in which the accused removes merchandise items from a retail establishment without first giving payment or receiving permission from the store proprietor.
The penalties for a shoplifting conviction are determined by the retail value of the taken items.
- Value of under $50 (Class C): Fines up to $500
- Value of $50 to $499 (Class B): Up to six months in a county jail and/or fines up to $2,000
- Value of $500 to $1,499 (Class A): Up to one year in a county jail and/or fines up to $4,000
- Value of $1,500 to $19,999 (state jail felony): Between 180 days to two years in a state jail and/or fines up to $10,000
- Value of $20,000 to $99,999 (third-degree felony): Between two to 10 years in state prison and/or fines up to $10,000
- Value of $100,000 to $199,999 (second-degree felony): Between two to 20 years in state prison and/or fines up to $10,000
- Value of over $200,000 (first-degree felony): Between 5 to 99 years in state prison and/or fines up to $10,000
Shoplifting convictions can have severe consequences. If a permanent criminal record is made, the accused may be barred from certain job opportunities. It may even affect his or her ability to rent an apartment or apply for a loan.
Arrested For A Criminal Offense in Texas?
Contact Houston Criminal Defense Attorney Mario Madrid
Defense Against Shoplifting Charges
Those who are accused of shoplifting should take the charges seriously. If you have recently faced a charge of shoplifting, you should immediately contact a shoplifting defense lawyer who can aggressively protect your rights. The criminal defense attorneys at Madrid Law have the experience and reputation to help you with your defense.
Contact Mario Madrid
Shoplifting accusations are often unwarranted. For instance, it is very common for shoppers to forget about paying for items in their shopping carts. They have every intention of paying; they just don’t remember to. If shoplifting is inadvertent, charges may oftentimes be dropped. You need a reliable criminal defense attorney on your side to ensure the most positive outcome.